Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chanukkah, Oh Chanukkah...

In a nod to the holiday season, each Chanukkah post will feature eight reasons, rather than seven. Because I'm corny like that.

Saturday:
1. I woke up early to meet a student who teaches at Chavaya, the Conservative synagogue's supplementary school. Together we walked the 3 1/2 miles (in the rain) to the Chavaya Shabbaton. It was clammy and cold, but definitely worth it, especially when we took a shortcut through a gorgeous nature path.

2. Oh, Mishlachat. The best eidah in camp.

3. Had some students over for Seudah Shlishit, the third meal of Shabbat.

4. Bananagrams were a highlight of said meal.

5. So was lighting candles with the students.

6. Went to Tim and Terry's (a small bar and music venue about 100 yards from my backyard) to hear Mystery Machine, a funk band one of my students is in. They were great. And they closed with the Ghostbusters theme song, which was obviously awesome.

7. Came home to this conversation with Jonathan Moshe Berliner (whose interview on NPR somehow got lost in the shuffle, but DEFINITELY deserved a spot here last week):

8:22 PM Jonathan: apparently the chinese food this year has caused widespread food poisoning in yavneh
8:23 PM me: no way
oh dear
they should've ordered from kosher express
8:25 PM Jonathan: Deena: epidemic 09
Jordan: jon
we poisoned yavneh

(...Yavneh being the subset of Hillel I was most involved in during college. I suddenly feel very pleased with myself that I managed to not poison anyone during my tenure.)

8. New comforter = heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails